How are we self-aware? What creates consciousness?

We all believe different things lets delve deep into our spirituality and find out a little more about ourselves.

How are we self-aware? What creates consciousness?

Postby zmiles783 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:02 am

I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I've always said to myself, "Time will never stop and space goes on forever." I thought that with endless space and time anything that can possibly happen, WILL happen... I still feel that way but I've recently had thoughts that maybe there's more to it! I often think, "Why am I able tho think?" . Most people just live with out wondering how they're able to make the decisions they make. Honestly I never had these thought until I began experimenting with dextromorphan(DXM). Maybe someone else who has experience with DXM has a better understanding of how the mind generates thoughts.
zmiles783
Redneck Abductee

Re: How are we self-aware? What creates consciousness?

Postby elindsey1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:20 pm

I am a student in a beginners sociology class in college. From what I have learned in the short time that I have been there is that socialization creates personality, train of thought, decision making skills. Thoughts and decision are not born,or DNA given, these are learned. I did a report about the difference in nature vs nurture. Nature would include born traits like muscular dystrophy, cleft lip, mental retardation, etc.... Everything else is learned. There were studies done on unsocialized children, these children had obviously been abused from birth. One in particular was named Anna born in 1932. A social worker found her in 1938 bound in an attic. She had been there for 5 years. She had no personality, no nothing, like an animal. She was never taught anything. They used her as an example in making theories about socialization. After that, they did the same thing with baby monkeys, getting the same result. So in saying all of this I think that we are taught how to think and make decisions through socialization. This might be a good class for you to try out. Many good insights on this topic.
elindsey1
Redneck Abductee

Postby Alien UFO Research » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:20 pm

elindsey1 wrote:There were studies done on unsocialized children, these children had obviously been abused from birth. One in particular was named Anna born in 1932. A social worker found her in 1938 bound in an attic. She had been there for 5 years. She had no personality, no nothing, like an animal. She was never taught anything. They used her as an example in making theories about socialization.

Whoa. do you have a link to that study?
Alien UFO Research
Your Leader

Postby alienreporter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Interesting this is. Well if we find alien life that is not consciousness about themselves, we might socialize them :).
alienreporter
Redneck Abductee

Postby jen157 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 pm

alienreporter wrote:Interesting this is. Well if we find alien life that is not consciousness about themselves, we might socialize them :).

Possible. If we do find life like that, it's best that we just let them be. I could however see us stealing all of their resources.
jen157
Skeptic Researcher

Return to Spirituality, Religion, and Cults